The Car Debate

It's getting close. Tristan goes for his driver's license in just ten days. He's doing well behind the wheel, and I think he'll pass his test with flying colors. He'll be on the road solo in no time. As sad as this makes me, I'm looking forward to having another driver in the house. It'll take some stress off Mike, who works twelve hour days, at least five days a week, and then has to come home and run me where I need to go. He doesn't get much down time.

The downside of all this is the fact that Tristan has his heart set on getting his own car. Although this is fine, I don't think he's thinking about the cost of it all. He'll be working his first job this summer and thinks he'll be able to buy a car by the time school starts again next year. All well and good, but....I'm having a hard time getting him to realize the cost of car insurance for a teenage boy isn't cheap.

We've told him that we'll pay for the cost of insurance as long as he's driving one of our vehicles under our policy, but if he buys a car for himself, it'll have to be under his own policy, driving the cost much higher. We even have a car for him, but of course, it isn't "cool" by today's teen standards, and he doesn't want to drive it.

I remember my first car. It wasn't pretty. It had mechanical problems, but it was mine, and I was happy with it. It got me to where I wanted to go, and I loved it. Apparently, things have changed since I was young.

I'm sure this will be an ongoing debate. Who will back down first, I can't tell yet. I know driving is an exciting time for a teen, and I don't want to ruin it for him. I just want him to be responsible with his money, especially with the cost of gas today. I just don't think he realizes how expensive having a car can be.

0 comments: