"Fancy" Alarm Clock

Today did not start off well at all. Actually, yesterday's start wasn't all that great either. Or Saturday. All three days, Mike was late for work. I think it's my fault, but he thinks it's due to a faulty alarm clock, and that's fine by me.

I think the alarm is going off, but I'm turning it off instead of hitting the snooze like I always do. The thing is, I don't remember the alarm going off, and Mike never hears it. That's why the clock is on my side of the bed and not his. He'd never get up if it were on his side.

This morning he declared, "We're buying a new alarm clock!" as he's rushing around getting dressed. "That fancy alarm clock you bought is junk!"

Fancy? What's so fancy about it? It's a simple alarm clock with dual alarms. One set for Mike's time, and one set for the kids' time. Nothing "fancy" there.

I felt like I was in an episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies". Uncle Jed tells Granny that that new-fangled, fancy alarm clock she bought is no good. She should use the rooster like the rest of the family.

When I questioned his use of the word fancy, he turned on me. "There's no need for all that extra stuff! We're getting a plain alarm clock like I used to have!"

That was enough for me. It was five o'clock in the morning. Too early to argue, and I knew when to leave well enough alone. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I thought it was my fault, not the clock's. The second alarm goes off fine and I hear that one. Of course, I'm not sleeping as soundly by that time.

Oh well, I guess we're getting a new alarm clock. I wonder what fancy gadgets they come with now?

0 comments: