Rascal

This is Rascal. He's one of the five furbabies we have. He's a 3 year old shih-tzu, and one of the dopiest dogs I have ever seen! In his defense, he is the only one of the five that has learned to untangle himself from around the tree when he's on his chain outside.

Rascal isn't like most dogs I've had. Most dogs are muscular and quite in control of their bodies. Rascal, on the other hand, is floppy. That's the only word that I can think of to describe him. He's like a rag doll, seeming to have no muscle tone or control whatsoever. It's like his limbs are held on with stretchy bands that just flop around when you pick him up.

Despite his dopiness, he is one of the most lovable dogs I've ever known. He's quite content to sit on my lap any chance he gets and just be. He gives kisses and loves to be snuggled.

We almost lost Rascal a couple of years ago to pancreatitis. He got so sick, and lost so much weight from not eating, that he had to be hospitalized for a week. The vet didn't hold out much hope and tried to prepare us for what might happen. Miraculously, Rascal pulled through. He's been fine ever since, but I keep him on a strict diet of only his special dog food and no table scrapes of any kind.

I can't imagine my life without him because he brings so much joy and laughter into it.

0 comments: