Sometimes I Wish My Kids Were Little Again

Despite the fact that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and know that my time will soon be my own again, I find myself wishing that my kids were little again. You know, when they were dependent on me, had to do what I told them, and were home safe and snug in their own beds each and every night.

I thought that having a college aged child would be so much easier than having children living at home. At 20 years old, I shouldn't have to worry so much about him, that he is an adult capable of taking care of himself. Boy, was I wrong.

I worry about him more. Despite his age, I do not believe he could take care of himself fully. I thought college was supposed to prepare them for a life in the real world, but unfortunately, it hasn't. He's forgetful, doesn't listen, never picks up after himself, and continues to do stupid stuff that could potentially be dangerous or life altering.

I blame it on the fraternity he joined last year and currently lives in. A houseful of men children can never be a good thing. They party all night long, sleep all day, and live like pigs. They don't clean up after themselves because the "house mother" does it for them. She cooks and cleans and they just love her. It's like they never left home, except now, they have the freedom to drink and do God-only-knows-what without having to listen to their parents.

This behavior follows them home for holiday visits and summer vacation as well. For example, Tristan is home for a few weeks for Christmas break. I'm always so happy to see him when he comes home. He's my first baby, after all. It doesn't take long before his frat boy ways begin showing, though. My workload doubles around the house. I'm constantly picking up after him and doing laundry. He has friends over at all hours of the night, which really makes Mike mad since he has to get up early for work each morning. With people coming and going during the night, the dogs are barking and doors are slamming. It's like we run a hotel for the wayward college student around here. Oh, and the electric and fuel bill. He leaves lights on all night long and takes a minimum of two showers a day!

And when you try to talk to him about it, he gets defensive and cannot understand where we are coming from. You can't tell him anything.

So, you see now, why I want my kids to be little again? Even though at the time, it seemed like a lot of work, now that I know better, I would go back to that time in a heartbeat. Life was so much simpler and I had control.

2 comments:

Unknown December 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM  

My only advice is to keep closer with your son and talk to him always but do not cold him.

Live, Laugh, Blog April 11, 2012 at 7:48 AM  

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm doing. It's hard to keep my opinions to myself, but as you say, just keep close and communicate. Eventually he will see I'm right, all on his own. LOL