Spring Break is Over

What is wrong with me? This is usually one of my happiest days of the year, but for some reason, I'm actually kind of sad.

The kids went back to school today after a week off for Spring Break. Typically, this is a day of celebration and relaxation, but I just can't find it in me to do my dance of joy.

It seems the older the kids get, the more I feel sad when they aren't home. Is it the impending "empty nest" syndrome? Am I beginning to see that before long, they will all be gone for good and I shouldn't take their presence for granted? I've noticed that they irritate me less and less when they are home. Even their constant bickerings and "mom, mom, moms" aren't as annoying. I find myself more than happy to cater to them.

Maybe it's that they are growing up; becoming people that I enjoy conversing with and hanging out with. They have quite the sense of humor and make me laugh.....a lot. I see our relationships evolving as they get older. I see myself enjoying their company so much more now. Don't get me wrong. I've always enjoyed my children, but until recently, it's been more of a job. Something I had to do whether I wanted to or not. Sick or not, a mother's job is never done. It's less of a job now, and becoming more of something I want to do.

I wonder if they feel the same way?

0 comments: