Did I Tell You?

I don't remember if I told you already or not, but I'll tell you now. I surrendered my driver's license earlier this year.

Yep. I sure did.

It was a tough decision, but really, there was no reason to have it. I haven't been able to drive a car in years. Matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I was behind the wheel. The idea of driving scares me to death. There are times when riding in the car I'll ask Mike why he's slowing down or why he's driving in the other lane, and won't even see the obstruction in the road.

I'll admit. I did shed a tear or two at the DMV when I did it. The lady at the counter was really nice about it, though. She asked me my reason for it, and I had to fill out a special form, just in case I would magically someday be able to get it back.

I told her that I didn't see a day in the future where it would be possible to drive again, and that's when I lost it. She said something sympathetic that I don't remember and looked sincerely moved.

I felt like an idiot because I told myself before going in that I wouldn't do that. It was something I had given lots of thought to for a long time before actually doing it, and I thought I had it all under control. I was only fooling myself.

Today, I feel good about my choice. Having a driver's license was the last piece of my fully-sighted life, and it was false. I'm not bitter about it, and I'm not negative. I have hope that someday a cure will be found for my eye condition, but I'm not unrealistic. Should the day come that I can see completely again, I'll get it back. You can count on that.

0 comments: