Long Overdue Update

It's been a while since I've talked about my eye condition. I don't like to dwell on it, and tend to forget that others don't always know what's going on with me. Since I don't walk around with a white stick or dark glasses, it's hard for someone to know that I'm legally blind unless they get to know me better and spend time with me.

I don't know if it's old age setting in or if my condition is getting worse, but my eyesight is definitely diminishing. Computer work is getting harder, which really sucks because I work from home. On the computer. I really struggle with small print, most times just ignoring it completely if I can't enlarge it enough. Not all websites are blind-friendly.

I've noticed lately too, that florescent lights really bother my eyes now. I don't know why now is any different than before, but it is. My eyes have been sensitive to sunlight ever since this happened to me, and I wear sunglasses any time I'm outside, even when it's cloudy. I use a florescent light at my desk, which is wonderful for working, but I recently started wearing a baseball cap while I work to block the overhead florescent light. It helps. I'm thinking that maybe a lightly tinted pair of sunglasses might help as well.

I'm a little concerned about this diminishing eyesight thing, though. I'm still able to do things, it's just.....harder. What if I lose my eyesight altogether? I've always told myself that I'd deal with whatever happens with this condition, but total blindness scares me. I'm not a praying woman, but I'll admit, I do say a silent prayer every once in a while for myself, especially when I'm having a rough time. Maybe someone is listening? I don't know.

So, that's just a little update on my eyes. Not good news, but it could be worse.

0 comments: