What I Found Out About the Ultrasonic Cleaner

A few days ago I posted about using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean jewelry. I am intent on getting one of these things, mainly to clean my jewelry, but also to clean just about anything that fits inside. :)

Anyhow, I learned a few things while researching the subject, and I thought I'd share it here. Turns out, not all jewelry should be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Cleaning pearls is not recommended in and ultrasonic cleaner. They scratch easily. Good to know since I do own a pair of pearl earrings that I love, and I would have thrown them in that thing as sure as the sun comes up each morning!


You should clean your diamonds and gemstones at least twice a year in an ultrasonic cleaner to remove build up of skin lotions, dirt, oil and other environmental uglies that cause them to look dull. 

Opaque stones such as turquoise or lapis lazuli should not be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner because they can shatter in the machine. Also good to know since I also have these.
Sounds like a lot of my jewelry will have to be cleaned by hand still, but that's OK. I still have plenty that can go in, and it'll come in handy for the penny crafts I have my eye on. 


1 comments:

Aries October 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM  

I love walking into toy stalls etc and look at those advance toys. Even though my two sons are in their late teens, it does bring back memories. The problem is now a days I have no excuse to enter a toy shop. Even all my niece and nephews are are grown up. Happy blogging to you and have a great day